quasi in rem

Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Bush supports amendment prohibiting same-sex marriages

President Bush announced his support to an amendment prohibiting same-sex marriages.

First the political note. This a play for the Catholic, the Baptist south and the Ohio vote.

Will it work? Possibly.

I think this is a losing war though. There is no way to win a public relations war when the battle is being fought against those trying to do a positive act, such as getting married.

I think its an unfortunate turn of events. I do not think that these types of social institutions should be controlled in the Constitution.

By the way, the ACLU's argument is that we should not write discrimination into the constitution. I wopuld aer that almost every modern amendment is discriminatory. I need only point out the Fourteenth Amendment whish discriminates against those who are alive but not yet "viable".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home