quasi in rem

Monday, March 29, 2004

The smell of grass, the crack of the bat, the taste of ...sushi?:

Baseball season starts tomorrow and I cannot wait. There is no better time of year than the start of baseball season, even if you are, like me, a Pirate fan. I am currently putting the over/under for runs scored by the Pirates this year at 407. Which would be incompetence on a global scale. (392 is the record low) Of course when you have Raul freakin Mondesi hitting clean-up then you get hwat you pay for.

I long for happier times of Doug Drabek, John Smiley, Bob Walk, Andy Van Slyke, Bonds, Bonilla, Spanky Lavallier and even Sid Bream. Sitting in three rivers stadium, singing "For it's one two three strikes your out if your Jose Lind!" If I ran into Francisco Cabrera right now I might punch him in the throat.

But in these times of sorrow I always think, there will be another day...

"The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers; it has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and it could be again. Ohhhh, people will come, Ray. People will most definitely come."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home