quasi in rem

Thursday, July 01, 2004

Right to Privacy vs. Right to Open Government...: "A state court judge in Florida ordered Thursday that the board of elections immediately release a list of nearly 50,000 suspected felons to CNN and other news organizations that last month sued the state for access to copies of the list."

If I was a convicted felon living in Florida, I would greatly appreciate it if the State did not go around broadcasting that fact. I would make PTA meetings, church groups, boy scout meetings and the like very uncomfortable affairs if all of a sudden everyone there knew My felonious background even if I was completely redeemed.

I wonder where the ACLU stands on this issue.

Oh I can guess, mind you, but they have already filed a case in the state concerning Rush Limbaugh's medical records. And they have shown an interest in privacy rights before.
But something tells me that since someone named Bush signed this legisaltion, they probably are staying away from this case.
I would also like to add this little nugget.

CNN.com has this statement under a picture of the Supreme Court on this article with a caption that states: "The U.S. Supreme Court closed the door to recounts in Florida in the 2000 presidential election."

That is not true. There were recounts all over the state that upheld the election results prior to the Supreme Court decision. All of those recounts still had Bush as the winner. The Supreme Court basically prevented further recounts done by hand in selected counties unless some uniformity could be established.
But to say that the Supreme Court prevented recounts is untrue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home